Loading
Our region’s history…

August 28th, 2026Our region’s history…

This year, 2026, is the centenary year for the golf course at Hepburn Springs now known as Hepburn Golf.

This year, 2026, is the centenary year for the golf course at Hepburn Springs now known as Hepburn Golf.


People often wonder why Hepburn Springs has a golf course rather than Daylesford.
The first recorded push to establish golf in Daylesford appeared in May 1900, when an article by “A. Golfer” in the Daylesford Advocate encouraged the town to add golf to its attractions. A meeting was arranged to form a club, but it was poorly attended and adjourned.
Golf was probably first played locally around 1910 at Wombat Park, where Herbert Cox and his gardeners created several holes. Enthusiasts walked from town carrying hickory-shafted clubs with traditional names such as mashie, niblick and brassie. In 1912, golf professional Dick Banks inspected possible sites near North Ajax and Wombat Park, judging the latter suitable for a nine-hole course.
After World War I, interest revived as Daylesford looked to tourism and recreation to support the town after mining declined.
In 1921, the Daylesford Progress Association formally supported creating a golf club and course. After considering several possible locations, Victoria Park was chosen because it was the most practical site at the time.
The Daylesford Golf Club was formed, with Cr William Weir as president, and Banks designed a nine-hole course. The links officially opened on June 6, 1921 before about 250 people, with the Mayoress, Mrs Lenna Weir, driving the first ball. Women were strongly represented.
The club operated alongside the cricket and racing clubs at Victoria Park, which created ongoing difficulties. Greens were damaged by wandering stock, racehorses and competing sporting uses. Women were requested not to wear high heels. The club disbanded and was reformed in 1925 with new officers, fees and committees. The course improved, professional instruction was offered, and membership and competitions grew. Women were enthusiastic.
By the late 1920s, visitors from surrounding towns attended tournaments, including major women’s events. The club affiliated with regional golf bodies by 1930 and developed plans for a clubhouse located on the south-eastern end of the current soccer field. This clubhouse was eventually moved to the tennis club when the Daylesford Golf Club closed.
Despite periods of activity, support fluctuated. Damage to the course continued, and in 1938 the club was again reformed. A proposal to establish permanent municipal links was rejected.
The Daylesford Progress Association had supported golf at Victoria Park to get it going as soon as possible to support tourism, but it continued from 1921 to search for land for a stand-alone golf course. This land was found at Hepburn Springs and plans were laid for an 18-hole course which eventually opened in 1926 with its first tournament held in November 1926.
Golf in Daylesford stopped during World War II but briefly resumed in 1946. The club held its final opening day in 1947. After that, no further records have been found. Increased pressure from football, redevelopment of Victoria Park, and competition from Hepburn Springs Golf Club, formed in 1926, probably contributed to the end of golf at Daylesford.

Compiled by Jan Smith, volunteer at Daylesford & District Historical Society and Hepburn Golf member. Information for this history was sourced from the DDHS newspaper collection held at the Daylesford Museum.

Next edition; read about 100 years at Hepburn Golf.

More Articles

Back to top