Loading
Beautfort brigade gets new fire station and truck

April 3rd, 2025Beautfort brigade gets new fire station and truck

The Beaufort CFA Brigade has received a new fire station ... and a new heavy tanker.

The Beaufort CFA Brigade has received a new fire station … and a new heavy tanker.

As the CFA approaches its 80th anniversary this week, the state’s Minister for Emergency Services Vicki Ward last Friday officially unveiled the station and handed over the new heavy tanker to the brigade. 

Beaufort Captain Tony Neville said the brigade, in its 151 year, was thrilled to be operating out the new state of the art station and using the new heavy tanker.

“Everything flows better,” Mr Neville said.

“All our trucks are all on the one bay, we used to have separate sheds and had to move cars around to get to equipment.

“I think it may have also helped with recruitment with five new volunteers waiting to do their General Fire Fighting training.”

The new station, which has relocated to 2-6 Racecourse Road, includes essential amenities such as a motor room with three drive-through bays, offices, workshops, operational areas, meeting rooms, change rooms for both male and female volunteers, as well as unisex ambulant facilities. Externally the station provides a car park, and a six-bay storage shed.   

The station is also home to a Local Command Facility, which provides additional support to the district and brigades during larger incidents.

The new heavy tanker includes important features to improve safety and reduce fatigue, with crew and vehicle roll over and burnover protection, a 4,000-litre water tank and electric rewind hose reels – helping improve their emegergency response capabilities. 

This is one of the 48 new heavy tankers being delivered as part of the state government’s $22.7 million investment into state-of-the-art appliances for CFA.

This week the CFA is celebrating 80 years of operation – and Beaufort is one of the oldest brigades in the state, celebrating its 150th anniversary last year. 

Beaufort Brigade has a proud history especially during World War I when many of its members enlisted and served overseas.

Beaufort provided more soldiers to the war effort than any other fire brigade in Victoria at the time with 13 of its 15 active members joining the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) for service abroad.

The CFA formed after a series of devastating fires in the summer of 1943-44 prompted the consolidation of the Bushfire Brigades Association and the Country Fire Brigades Association. 

Since this time, the CFA has become one of the largest volunteer-based organisations in the world – with more than 52,000 members across 1,200 brigades.

Minister for Emergency Services Vicki Ward: “CFA volunteers show extraordinary courage showing up for Victorians in emergencies – it’s a history they are rightly proud of.”

“We will always support them so they have everything they need to protect lives and communities.”

Member for Ripon Martha Haylett: “The Beaufort Fire Brigade has been protecting our community for over 150 years. Their dedicated volunteers deserve the very best station, vehicles, and equipment to respond to emergencies.”

CFA Chief Officer Jason Heffernan: “This new facility marks the beginning of a new part of this brigade’s history and one that will only improve the service the CFA provides for their local areas.”    

This story based on a CFA report and a state government media release. Image: Supplied, CFA

Back to top